Python-iView update: fixes downloading for metered users

12 May 2012

Just pushed out an update to Python-iView that fixes issues with “StreamNotFound” errors when downloading from a metered (and/or Akamai-based) connection.

The problem occurred due to a minor change in the iView API, which contradicted an assumption I had made.

Bazaar users can type the following to update to the latest version:

$ bzr pull

PPA users can simply update to the latest version by running the following:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) users may need to run the following instead:

$ sudo apt-get install python-iview=0.2-1~bzr73~oneiric

I am not providing packages for Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04 any more. (Actually binary-wise the packages do not differ between distros, so you can quite easily use another distro’s name in your sources.list.)

18 replies

• Paul Tyler says:

Hi Jeremy,

I’m having some trouble which seems to occur in rtmpdump. I’ve altered the python code to call rtmpdump with -V and to also print out the args before running. I ran the command “iview-cli -d qi_10_10.mp4″ and get and empty file with the following output:

> iview-cli -d qi_10_10.mp4
    Starting rtmpdump...
    ['rtmpdump', '--host', u'cp53909.edgefcs.net', '--app', u'ondemand?auth=daEcOblbRcyaqdqcBbWaSbAaPbTcYcGaNbo-bpSAvA-8-jlm_uGvnL&aifp=v001', '--playpath', 'mp4:flash/playback/_definst_/qi_10_10', '--swfhash', '96cc76f1d5385fb5cda6e2ce5c73323a399043d0bb6c687edd807e5c73c42b37', '--swfsize', '2122', '--swfUrl', 'http://www.abc.net.au/iview/images/iview.jpg', '-V', '-o', 'qi_10_10.flv', '--resume']
    RTMPDump v2.3
    (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
    WARNING: You haven't specified a protocol (--protocol) or rtmp url (-r), using default protocol RTMP
    WARNING: You haven't specified a port (--port) or rtmp url (-r), using default port 1935
    DEBUG: Protocol : RTMP
    DEBUG: Hostname : cp53909.edgefcs.net
    DEBUG: Port     : 1935
    DEBUG: Playpath : mp4:flash/playback/_definst_/qi_10_10
    DEBUG: tcUrl    : rtmp://cp53909.edgefcs.net:1935/ondemand?auth=daEcOblbRcyaqdqcBbWaSbAaPbTcYcGaNbo-bpSAvA-8-jlm_uGvnL&aifp=v001
    DEBUG: swfUrl   : http://www.abc.net.au/iview/images/iview.jpg
    DEBUG: app      : ondemand?auth=daEcOblbRcyaqdqcBbWaSbAaPbTcYcGaNbo-bpSAvA-8-jlm_uGvnL&aifp=v001
    DEBUG: live     : no
    DEBUG: timeout  : 30 sec
    DEBUG: SWFSHA256:
    DEBUG: 96 cc 76 f1 d5 38 5f b5 cd a6 e2 ce 5c 73 32 3a
    DEBUG: 39 90 43 d0 bb 6c 68 7e dd 80 7e 5c 73 c4 2b 37
    DEBUG: SWFSize  : 2122
    DEBUG: Failed to get last keyframe.
    DEBUG: Closing connection.

Any idea what is happening?

• Jeremy says:

Before retrying the download, can you delete the old video?

$ rm qi_10_10.flv

rtmpdump chucks a spaz if it tries to resume a corrupt download, and doesn’t automatically retry from the beginning.

• Paul Tyler says:

Thanks. That was it. The code before the update created empty files which I didn’t delete.

Thanks.

• Tyler says:

Thanks

• Paul says:

Jeremy,
    lately downloads from ABC have just failed. I did the apt update and upgrade but same result. I am using Mint 12 and have not had any troubles with this hugely helpful program before. Any ideas what may have changed?

• Jeremy says:

Can you confirm which version of the package you are running?

Do a `dpkg -l python-iview` for me.

• Paul says:

did the latest update just now (25 May 2012) but still failed.
      from dpkg:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
      | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
      |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
      ||/ Name           Version        Description
      +++-==============-==============-============================================
      ii  python-iview   0.2-1ubuntu1~p GTK+–based frontend to ABC iView
    • Jeremy says:

Sorry, the version got cut off. Can you run `dpkg -l python-iview | cat`?

• Norman Bakker says:

Hi Jeremy,

Like Paul I am using Mint12 and downloads failed recently. However after I updated the Mint12 system today (24 May 2012) all is working again.

Great program incidentally.
    Norman

• Paul says:
    dpkg -l python-iview | cat
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                                   Version                                 Description
    +++-======================================-=======================================-=====================================================================================================================
    ii  python-iview                           0.2-1ubuntu1~ppa1~oneiric               GTK+–based frontend to ABC iView
    • Jeremy says:

Please run the following:

$ sudo apt-get install python-iview=0.2-1~bzr73~oneiric

Looks like I buggered up the versioning at some point. :-(

• Paul says:

Excellent Jeremy, all working now. Great work. Couldn’t quite follow your tut. on how you wrote it and how it works though. Well done!

• Daniel says:

can you tell me what ports I need to allow access to in order to use python-iview. I just downloaded it and it says “download failed” whenever I try to download a program, so I’m guessing I haven’t got a right port open

• Daniel says:

Cheers for that, works perfectly now.

Thanks for all the hard work making this amazin program.

• Franz says:

I have the same problem as Daniel. Been away for a few months , ran some updates on Natty and first use of iView failed.
    Have updated/upgraded via the PPA without result. How do I know that port 1935 is open ? Any help to make this great app work again.
    Many thanks

• Jeremy says:

Hi Franz,

Natty is unsupported and will not receive further Python-iView updates. However, you can use another distro’s name in your sources.list file (e.g. precise) and it should work fine.

As for determining whether port 1935 is open, I cannot give you instructions for every single possible firewall out there, so I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

• Peter says:

Hi Jeremy

Python-iview has been working brilliantly but has stopped working in the last couple of weeks…?
    When I try to update I get the following message

Using saved parent location: https+urllib://jeremy.visser.name/bzr/python-iview/
    bzr: ERROR: Transport error: Server refuses to fulfill the request (403 Forbidden) for https://jeremy.visser.name/bzr/python-iview/.bzr/branch-format

BTW I’m running Mac OSX 10.6.8